Phillips Park is located on over 325 acres. It was used as a picnic area for family outings as early as 1835 when it was known as Scharschug's Woods, and was built up as an entertain area in the early 1870s by the Aurora Sharp Shooter Society.On March 7, 1934, mastodon bones were found during the Phillips Park Lake Excavation Project. The project was one of many sponsored by the Civil Works Administration during the Great Depression, and now the lake is know as Mastodon Lake. Phillips Park Zoo, a Dog Park, Sunken Gardens, golf course, monuments, etc abound.
Photo 1 of 1